Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Altogether Different

Do you have a friendship that is altogether different from anything found in the secular world? Are your friendships based on silliness and fun, or are they based on drawing closer to God together? I talked with a friend last night that I'd not been able to call for quite a while. She lives thousands of miles away, and we've never met face to face. Still, though, she is an incredibly dear friend who has encouraged and uplifted me so many times. Do you know why our relationship is important, why it even works at all? Because it's focused on Jesus Christ. We talked for about thirty minutes last night, and I think nearly of that time was spent discussing God's goodness, His perfect leading, and His capability of doing great things in the future. And you know what? When she had to go, I left the conversation wanting to spend more time at Jesus's feet. Many of my friends leave me wanting to get more and more into the social arena, and wanting to further build my relationship with other humans. With this dear friend, I leave so glad to know her, but even more encouraged to draw closer to my Saviour. I was recently reading an article on Set Apart Girl by Amy Meyers and Tessa Hershberger entitled "Set Apart Friendship". This quote really stood out to me : "When God is the Creator of a friendship, it will be altogether different." How true! So today, I am thanking the Lord for my friends that are "altogether different". Because really, that's the whole point of friendship -- growing closer to Christ together.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm honored and humbled! You know, I was thinking the same thing about you! I always love Jesus more after talking with you! :) So glad to have you as a friend and sister and Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lissie, I am so very, very blessed to know you! You have been such a blessing, and I can't wait to meet you face to face one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a piece of wisdom that perhaps I have heard before. The definition of a true friend is one who will draw you closer to Christ.

    ReplyDelete